Disposal & environment
Yes! With your support, we’ve helped offset 33.58 TONNES of carbon dioxide. That’s like 16 and a half small, male elephants-worth of CO2. Its also equal to 27 flights to London from San Francisco, 142,603km driven in a car – which all equals 107 metres squared of sea ice saved and counting. Not only that, but it keeps plastic out of landfill. Our pens have 85% less plastic than a traditional pen, which means that 10,000 tonnes of plastic waste can be avoided.
The main places the trees are being planted are:
- Changalane, Mozambique
- Marotaola, Madagascar
- Bosawas, Nicaragua
Alongside that, we are also supporting projects to help protect and reforest in Papua New Guinea as well as supporting geothermal power in Java, Indonesia.
The pens are very easy to dispose of. Depending on the pen, the instructions are a little different:
- Earth pen: compost / recycle the paper components & recycle the ink tube and metal nib.
- Clicker pen: compost / recycle the paper components & recycle the metal nib, plastic tip, plastic clip, ink tube and metal spring.
We’ve partnered with One Tree Planted to help with reforestation efforts for the Australian bushfires. Every month, we take count of how many orders and donate the equivalent in $USD. So if we have 500 orders, that’s 500 trees planted!
FSC means Forest Stewardship Council. This is a governing body that ensures products that are manufactured with trees, are from responsibly sourced locations. Our factory only uses FSC certified trees. For more information on FSC, see their website.
Our pens are packaged entirely plastic-free and in the most eco-friendly way:
- Our envelopes are made from recycled paper
- The tape we use is adhesive kraft paper
- All marketing materials are printed on recycled paper
- The pens are packed in a custom printed linen bag (it’s one of the most sustainable materials)
- For the majority of our orders, we send through Sendle, who are carbon-neutral
- All ink we use is soy-based
Click here to see an example photo of our packaging (via Instagram)
Yes they are! We don’t use any animal-derived ingredients and we do not condone or partake in any animal testing. Our clicker pens are not gluten-free as a small amount of waste wheat (offcuts of harvests) is added to the plastic coloured clips.
Our pens are very eco-friendly! The Clicker pens are 50% less plastic than traditional pens and the Earth pen is a whopping 85% less plastic. The paper used is from a Forest Stewardship Council certified factory and the majority of our paper used is recycled. The very small percentage of plastic we use in our pens is easily recyclable (unlike many bioplastics). On top of that, we plant an entire tree for every pack sold and offset more carbon than we emit.
For more information, see our why paper pens page.
- The plastic clips are made from easily recyclable plastic (unlike bioplastics) with 10% of wheat (from offcuts of farming)
- The ink holder and spring is made from recyclable plastic
- The tube is carboard
See why we choose recyclable plastic over ‘biodegradable’ plastics
- The entire pen is made from rolled recycled kraft paper
- The ink holder and nib is made from recyclable metals
Learn how to dispose of your pen